When Saying ‘I Do’ Means a Move: 5 Tips for Combining Households

Posted on: February 27, 2019 by in Blog
No Comments

Getting married means a whole lot of changes, including combining households, not the least of which could be moving to a new house or apartment. Whether you’re getting a brand-new place for the both of you or one of you is shifting all your earthly possessions to join your spouse, it’s a good idea to take proactive steps to make crossing that new threshold is a little easier.

Here are a few tips for taking some of the stress out of moving day — for both of you.

* Declutter. 

Before moving, go through your possessions, as individuals and then as a team. Even if you’re moving to a larger space, it’s better to start fresh with items you know you like or need, and it will save you moving things you don’t really want to keep. After you’ve each discarded old, unused or disliked items, take inventory of common household items to see if you have duplicates. Do you both have toasters, blenders, a full set of silverware? Decide as a team which of them you prefer. If the other is still in good shape, donate, recycle, or if too old and damaged, discard.

* Plan ahead to save. 

Whether one of you is moving or you both are, you can save a lot of money by doing the move yourself. It’s remarkably easy to rent a truck, and you don’t need a commercial license. Driving a moving truck isn’t difficult, but it is different from driving a car. Be careful to use your mirrors to navigate turns, avoid sudden lane changes or stops and make sure to allow extra time. Plan ahead by reserving your truck at least two weeks in advance.

* Pack smart. 

Nothing hurts more than moving your prized possessions, only to find them damaged when you arrive at your new digs. Your best bet is to pick up sturdy boxes, strong tape and bubble wrap at your truck rental store so that you know everything you pack will arrive at your new home in the same condition as when you packed it. You can also get labels to use on your boxes so you know which items belong in the kitchen, the bathroom or the bedroom.

* Be space conscious. 

You’ll need about 150 cubic feet of space for the furnishings of each room in your current home. In other words, a 12-­ or 16-­foot Penske rental truck should accommodate the contents of most small apartments or condos. When loading a moving truck, do what the pros do. Heavier items should be loaded in the back of the truck, while lighter items should be placed in front and on top. When in doubt, follow the helpful tips offered by Penske’s Truck Wizard.

* Share the burden. 

Invite friends, family, and members of your wedding party to help you move — but be sure to make it a party! Ordering plenty of pizza and drinks for the post-move party will be a big hit. Perhaps you could pick out special items or photos as mementos of your friendships or family events during your decluttering to gift your moving helpers.

These tips will help you and your new spouse handle the big move-in gracefully, economically and efficiently, so you can start your life together with as little stress as possible. Congratulations on the big day and the big move!

To learn more about renting your own moving truck, check out PenskeTruckRental.com for details. You can save even more on the move if you qualify for AAA or military discounts at Penske, so be sure to ask. – (BPT)

“Give us 1% of your confidence and we’ll earn the other 99%”
The greatest compliment you can give us is your referral to a family or friend
!

home inspection jacksonville fl the home inspection man logosFirst Choice Building Inspections is a Home Inspection Company in Jacksonville, FL. They have been providing Buyers Inspection (New Or Resale), Seller’s Home Inspection (Pre-Listing Inspection)4-Point Inspection, Multi-Family Structures, Warranty End Inspections and Wind Mitigation to home buyers and home sellers in the following areas of Jacksonville, The Beaches, Orange Park, Middleburg, Amelia Island, St. Augustine to Fernandina Beach and all points in between, including Duval, Nassau, St. John’s, Clay and Flagler Counties since 1997.