Home Improvement Can Do Wonders For You

Posted on: March 20, 2019 by in Blog
No Comments

Many people think that home improvement is a complex process best left to professionals, but there are many jobs you can do yourself if you know the process. The home improvement tips provided in this article are meant to help you understand how to get started on a home improvement project.

Repainting a porch may be something you need to do. If so, lean on a quality exterior paint. You want to make sure you use paint that will work over the old paint. Use oil paints over oil paints and water-based paints over old water-based paints. Oil-based paint is good for trim, as it lasts longer, but it should not be used on a deck or floor outdoors, as it becomes very slippery with snow.

Don’t overlook the addition of storage space to your new or existing home. Most homes are substantially lacking in storage space. Add built-in bookshelves to the living room or dining room. Turn a broom closet near the kitchen into a food pantry. Small changes and additions will really add up.

When removing cabinets as part of a kitchen remodel, make sure you don’t just unscrew and yank them off the wall. You will more than likely end up taking some or all of the drywall off with you. Take time and care to remove each and every screw, and use a utility knife around the edges to break the caulking that was most likely used to seal between the cabinet and the wall.

Be careful to what degree you personalize your home improvement projects. What appeals to you now may not appeal to potential buyers down the road. The more specialized and substantial your project is, the smaller return on investment you can expect to receive when you sell your home in the future.

New Home

Use energy efficient appliances when remodeling or building a new home. The utility costs can add up quickly if you aren’t using efficient appliances. You can find the rating of any machine you are purchasing on the tag. It will tell you the cost of using it over a year and over its lifetime.

Every piece of real estate is subject to building codes; the savvy land buyer will research these codes well in advance of making a purchase. Without proper research, the requirements imposed by local codes and zoning regulations can present a nasty surprise to landholders who intend to build a new home or improve an existing one.

While new home builders are now required to install only low-flow toilets, older homes rarely have efficient plumbing; an older toilet can use more than three gallons of water per flush; a new low-flow commode will use less than half of that amount, making it a wise investment that can save money on your water costs.

Make sure that any contract you sign when buying a home has your interests at heart. You need to have time to get financing, arrange a home inspection and discuss any problems in the home that may need repair. A contract that is written to protect you, is essential in giving you peace of mind and allowing you to enjoy your new home.

New Construction

When it comes to home improvement, take your current space into consideration before adding on with new construction. It may be much more cost effective to convert either an attic or basement into a living space. Added costs come into play when you have to add more to your foundation or roof area.

Talk to neighbors and look for signs of new construction before moving into a new neighborhood. You don’t want to end up living across from the newest McMansion. Find out the chances of the neighborhood changing and what the trends are before buying. The gorgeous hill view from the kitchen might become a new subdivision before you know it.

If you’re thinking about home improvement projects, you’re probably mulling over how much effort it’s going to take to get the job done. There are many parts to starting projects but start here, where you can get the advice you need. These tips are a perfect starting point to gather the information required to make knowledgeable choices for your home improvement projects.

“Give us 1% of your confidence and we’ll earn the other 99%”
The greatest compliment you can give us is your referral to a family or friend
!

home inspection jacksonville fl the home inspection man logosFirst Choice Building Inspections is a Home Inspection Company in Jacksonville, FL. They have been providing Buyers Inspection (New Or Resale), Seller’s Home Inspection (Pre-Listing Inspection)4-Point Inspection, Multi-Family Structures, Warranty End Inspections and Wind Mitigation to home buyers and home sellers in the following areas of Jacksonville, The Beaches, Orange Park, Middleburg, Amelia Island, St. Augustine to Fernandina Beach and all points in between, including Duval, Nassau, St. John’s, Clay and Flagler Counties since 1997.

Show Buttons
Hide Buttons