If you’re looking to move, then you’re probably preparing to sell the home you’re currently in. Here are the home inspection tips for home sellers. It’s quite likely that a home inspection will be a part of the selling process for you. In fact, the American Society of Home Inspectors (ASHI) and the National Association of Realtors (NAR) researched and determined that almost four of every five homes sold in America had a home inspection prior to being sold. NAR has reported that 99% of the time realtors will encourage buyers to get a home inspection. Buyers typically follow that advice, resulting in home inspections for 84% of home sales. It’s critical for sellers to understand the home inspection process and prepare the home for this inspection. Doing so translates into greater buyer appeal and getting the best price for your home. Here are four tips that you can follow to ensure you get the best possible home inspection report on the house that you are listing.
Home Inspection Tip Number One: Determine who the inspector will be.
Hiring your own inspector for a home inspection gives you several distinct advantages. There won’t likely be any “surprises” from a buyer’s inspection. You’ll also have the opportunity and time to determine if you want to repair problems or disclose them to a buyer upfront. You can locate a highly qualified inspector for a home inspection in your area by visiting the American Society of Home Inspectors’ website and submitting an inquiry. To be listed on their site, inspectors have met rigorous testing and specific experience requirements.
Home Inspection Tip Number Two: Make some minor repairs on the outside.
It’s time to take a close look around the outside of your home and look for minor repairs. Some items to look for include loose gutters, rotting trim, loose steps, missing shingles on the roof, and rotting windowsills. Have a second person walk with you for another set of eyes. You may even want to use a pair of binoculars to get a good view of the gutters and the roof. While you have the binoculars, check around the chimney too for loose metal flashing.
Home Inspection Tip Number Three: Evaluate the inside of your home for needed repairs.
Within your home, you’ll need to take an honest evaluation of the mechanical systems. Heating and cooling systems, for example, should be in good working order and may need to be serviced. Known plumbing or electrical issues should also be repaired prior to the home inspection. These items may seem minor to you, but they will be flagged on a home inspection. Fixing these type of problems shows the inspector and buyer that your home has been well kept and cared for.
Home Inspection Tip Number Four: Update and replace batteries and filters.
Smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors must be in working order, so do a quick check and replace batteries if needed. You’ll also want to ensure that your air filter(s) has recently been replaced before a home inspection. Those should be replaced each month to keep air fresh and cooling/heating systems functioning at optimal conditions.
These simple tips can be easily completed before you even list your home. With these items done, your home inspection will be more successful, and your home will be more appealing to potential home buyers! To learn more on what to expect during a home inspection, visit the American Society of Home Inspector’s Virtual Home Inspection page. There you’ll get an overview of the ten areas that an inspector must examine during the home inspection process.
Home Seller Tips For A Successful Sale
Your Premier Jacksonville Home Inspection Company| Let this experienced Jacksonville home inspector help keep you from buying The Money Pit.
First Choice Building Inspections will be your home buying or selling advocate! We are committed to providing you with outstanding service. We’re highly experienced and extremely thorough. If you’re looking to buy or sell in the Jacksonville area, we can help!
Owned and operated by Lou Prinzi. Lou prides itself in being committed to following high standards and providing professional service to all of our customers.
Call Us Today (904) 450-5568 or Click To Schedule Online 24/7 Right From Our Website
“Give us 1% of your confidence and we’ll earn the other 99%”
The greatest compliment you can give us is your referral to a family or friend!