Many home buyers choose their home inspector by calling around to see who has the cheapest price. Choosing a home inspector based on a bargain basement price, however, is probably not the best idea. While this strategy can save money up front, it could end up costing a lot more money in the long run.
You should always aim to hire the best home inspectors in Jacksonville. Home buyers entrust the home inspector with the job of assessing the current condition of all the components in a home. A thorough home inspection allows the home buyer to know if anything in the home needs to be repaired and even if they should reconsider the purchase due to a major flaw.
Where Should I Start?
It is important to find a home inspector in Jacksonville that you can trust, so it is worth taking the time to do some research. Asking others for recommendations is always a good start. Friends and family members who recently bought homes can be a good source of information. Your real estate agent is probably an even better source of information since your agent works with many different home inspectors in the area. Therefore, your agent has the experience and knowledge to tell you who to consider and who to avoid when choosing the best home inspector in Jacksonville. You can also seek out information from services such as Angie’s List or Yelp.
What Should I Ask?
Once you have a few recommendations, go see if those home inspectors have web sites. Not all home inspectors will have a web site of their own, but if they do you will find a lot of helpful information. One thing that you might be able to find on the web site is a list of any certifications the best home inspector in Jacksonville holds. Having additional certifications is a good thing because it shows that the person has devoted time to additional education and training in the field. Another thing they might list on the web site is professional affiliations. ASHI, NAHI, and InterNACHI are some of the major professional organizations for the home inspection industry. Affiliation with these networks is another indication that the person is serious about the profession, continued education, and networking with other professionals.
When you talk to the home inspectors, there are a few questions you should make sure to ask. Find out how long it will take to schedule the home inspection and when you will get the final home inspection report. Some home inspectors can provide you with a report on the spot, while others may take several days to compile the report. Find out if you will be allowed to be present at the home inspection. You’ll be able to ask any questions you have at the time and get the most valuable information. Find out exactly what parts of the house will be included in the inspection and if areas such as decks, patios, roofs, and finished sheds will cost more.
Finally, ask the home inspector for references, copies of licenses and insurance, and a sample home inspection report. Most people don’t think to ask for these items, but the home inspector should be willing to provide them to you. Pay particular attention to the sample home inspection because it will give you an idea about the quality and thoroughness of the work you can expect on your own home. Remember that it is worth the time and effort to find the right home inspector because that person can help keep you from losing money over the long run and potentially buying a “money pit”.
Home Inspection Checklist – Tips for Buyers
First Choice Building Inspections has been providing Buyers Inspection (New Or Resale), Sellers Inspection (Pre-Listing), 4-Point Insurance Inspection, Multi Family Structures, Warranty End Inspections and Wind Mitigation to home buyers and home sellers in the following areas of Jacksonville, The Beaches, Orange Park, Middleburg, Amelia Island, St. Augustine to Fernandina Beach and all points in between, including Duval, Nassau, St. John’s, Clay and Flagler Counties since 1997.
First Choice Building Inspections will be your home buying or selling advocate! We are committed to providing you with outstanding service. We’re highly experienced and extremely thorough. If you’re looking to buy or sell in the Jacksonville area, we can help!
Owned and operated by Lou Prinzi. Lou prides itself in being committed to following high standards and providing professional service to all of our customers.
Call Us Today (904) 450-5568 or Click To Schedule Online 24/7 Right From Our Website
“Give us 1% of your confidence and we’ll earn the other 99%”
The greatest compliment you can give us is your referral to a family or friend!